Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Making Something

If there were one thing that I could identify that anchors me it would be the times that my mother, my aunts and my grandmothers spent teaching and showing, encouraging and empowering me to make something with my hands. When I was a girl I was fascinated with the things that they would crochet, knit, sew, latch hook and cross stitch. I wanted to sit with them and learn. I wanted to make things.

As an adult I still look to the time that I can set aside to pull out a ball of yarn or a few yards of fabric and make something.

Today I sat down with a tablet of paper, yarn, and my hooks and decided to write a pattern. I wanted the stitches to twist around each other (not an easy feat in crochet) but I got it done!



The chains between the shells and clusters appear twisted together.
It might look a little complicated but it's not.


Fruited Vine Scarf Pattern

I used DK/light worsted weight yarn and a size G hook but any hook and yarn will work.

This pattern gets its name from the clusters of "fruit" between the "twisted" vines.

Ch 28

Row 1. 2dc in 4th ch from hook, [ch6, sk4 , dc in next 5 sts holding back last loop of each (6 loops on hook) yo pull through all loops on hook (cluster made), ch7], 2xs, ch6, sk4, 3dc in last ch.

Row 2. Ch3, turn, 2dc in same sp, [ch3, take loop off hook, put loop back on hook from back of work under ch6 of previous row, ch3, 5dc in top of cluster from row below(shell)], 2xs, ch3, take loop off hook, put loop back on hook from back of work under ch6 of previous row, ch3 (twisted stitch made), 3dc in top of last dc.

Row 3. Ch3, turn, 2dc in same sp, (ch6, sk chains, cluster in 5dc of shell, ch7) 2xs, ch6, sk4, 3dc in last ch.

Finish off on Row 2.

Twisted stitch in pictures: (or video tutorial: Twisted stitch tutorial)
 

 Easy-Peasy! Have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment